Friday, 8 October 2010

Nasi Lemak for Breakfast

As a Malaysian, what would be your most favourite food for breakfast? Common answer, roti canai with teh tarik and nasi lemak. Direct translation for 'nasi lemak' means ‘rice in fat’. Funny?

The name is derived from the cooking process whereby rice is soaked in rich coconut cream and then the mixture steamed. Sometimes knotted screwpine (pandan) leaves are thrown into the rice while steaming to give it more fragrance. Traditionally, this comes as a platter with cucumber slices, small dried anchovies (ikan bilis), roasted peanuts, hard boiled egg and hot spicy sauce (sambal).

So for today's breakfast I had nasi lemak ayam sambal! I tell you, this 'mak cik' sambal is so delicious. One month and three weeks I had not eaten it. Eh no, I did not eat it every day.. Only two or three times a week.


Mr. Fruitheart had his breakfast at home if you guys were wondering what he's been eating. He had to control, or else.. we can see his round tummy! Haha.. As for me, I enjoy eating what I can.. of course healthy food and not too much of everything will do me just fine.
Post a Comment