Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Pregnancy and Braces

Can pregnant woman wear braces? My dentist said, YES. That is from scientific and modern doctor's view. What about from traditional point of view? I mean our parents and grandparents, they sure have many advise to mothers-to-be. As you know, Malays got so many 'pantang larang', do's and dont's.

Earlier I had extracted my four teeth, two up and two bottom. At that time, I didn't know I was going to get pregnant after one year marriage. And last week, doc put the separator. OMG! So irritating. I couldn't chew much. Which makes me don't want to eat, and as a result makes me really hungry of not eating properly. Since I know I am pregnant, I can't stand the ache and the needs of food inside my tummy. I decided to take off all those blue rubber.

Phew! What a relief. I called my dentist and said I cancelled wearing braces until I am ready. Most probably after confinement. Errr.. maybe I won't be wearing it at all. Hehe.. getting older. Why I must burden myself right? Now I have four holes. Looks kinda ugly.

Here's what I got:
"Because women who are pregnant may experience sensitive teeth and gums, braces may add to this discomfort. Pregnant women experience hormonal changes and an increased volume of circulating blood that can make gums swollen and irritable. But braces may be worn as long as you keep your teeth and gums free and clear of infection. Talking to your dentist or orthodontist can help you decide." - Dr. De Vizio DMD of Colgate

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...