Skip to main content

Haze and Your Pregnancy

Everywhere people are talking about the haze which has engulfed our surrounding air. It was pretty bad and the weather was so unhealthy. But.. there were still people who do not wear mask and children playing outside! Don't you love your lungs??

Since I am pregnant, Mr. Fruitheart is so worried about me and the baby's health. He asked me to not be lazy to wash my hands and face, wear a mask, drink PLENTY of water and make sure I stay indoor.

So I googled the impact of haze to pregnant woman. Here are what I found from babycenter: Haze and your pregnancy.

How can the haze affect me and my unborn baby?
The haze can significantly compromise air quality. Numerous studies in other countries have also proven that air pollution can harm unborn infants in various ways.
•Pollutants inhaled by the mother can reach the womb through the umbilical cord.
•Air pollution exposure before birth has been linked with lower IQ in childhood.
•Exposure to smog before birth has been linked to low birth weight, premature births, stillbirths and infant deaths.
•Mothers living in areas with high levels of ozone and carbon monoxide were three times more likely to have babies with cleft lips and palates, and heart valve defects.

The greatest risk occurs during the second month of pregnancy, when the foetus is developing facial structure and organs.

OK, definitely what you inhale, what you eat, what you smell and so on.. your unborn baby will get it too. Mr. Fruitheart once said, it's better to prevent sickness earlier since in the tummy rather than to cure after the baby come out. That is why he always remind his forgetful and lazy wife to drink MILK and take vitamins.

Take precautions:
1. Stay indoor as much as possible. Shut all doors and windows.
2. If you must be outdoor, please wear a mask. (An N95 mask can filter out 95 per cent of particulate larger than 0.3 microns. However, people with heart and lung problems should always consult a doctor first as a mask does decrease air flow.)
3. Stay away from SMOKERS. (Not just during haze, all the time!)
4. Drink lots of water.
5. Wash your hands and face. Clean of the dust and dirt you get from outside.
6. Keep your car windows closed and on the air-cond while you are on the road.

Mr. Fruitheart forwarded this message to me which was forwarded by his friend:
Message from someone who works for National Environment Agency and here's what she advises:

Hi all, please make sure that you keep all windows shut at all times and bathroom doors too. What you breathe in gets lodged deep in your lungs and can't get out. It's the PM2.5 particulate matter that's dangerous. Make sure you cover your nose when outdoors.

From someone who is doing PHD in Biochem, he said that these particulates (in the haze) are too tiny and they will bypass the hairy and mucous nose to lodge into the lungs. As these particulates are non-water solvent, they will stay in the lungs, will cause cells to mutate and potentially cancer cells can develop from there. So do take care and keep your children and elderly folks indoors. And wear N95 masks even though it's a short walk from home to car and office.

Forwarded - Please bring a huge umbrella out today, and avoid rain water at all cost. Government is planning to seed the clouds to rain and according to my chemist friend, the rain water is harmful to human skin.

P/S: I wonder what is in the rain water that they are using to seed the clouds to rain.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ASTRO: Just Because of RM10.45

On last Thursday, we had an issue with our ASTRO. We reached home and as usual, kiddo switched on the TV and click on her fave channel. However, there was a message:

We apologise for the service interruption. To resume service please SMS: Astro RCO XXXXX(Smartcard number) and send to 66688. For customers in Brunei, please call 151. (TCI)

So I sent an SMS, and got a reply:
RM0.00 You are currently not eligible for this transaction. Please make payment immediately to enjoy full ASTRO services again. Thank you.

Our ASTRO has been barred?? Mr. Fruitheart checked our history payment and confirmed we had paid. So, I had to call ASTRO. I called the toll free line and since I'm using the ASTRO IPTV, I was being transferred to another line.

I asked the customer service representative to check and she told me our ASTRO account has an outstanding payment. I was like WHAT? Outstanding payment? How much? Oh no! Did Mr. Fruitheart paid to the wrong account? Because I had 2 under my name.

Surprisingly…

Confinement Packages / Pakej Berpantang

During my last pregnancy, I hired a confinement lady (CL) from Jemari tradisional to take care of me after I delivered my baby girl. This time around I have not decided yet where I will be staying during my confinement days and not sure if I will get the same CL from JT.

So, I have started to search for confinement lady / confinement packages / post natal packages / post natal care/ penjaga pantang / pakej pantang / pakej urut bersalin on the Internet. I found few that looks OK but some of the websites were not updated. I do not know if they're still on business.

So here are the lists:
1. Jemari Tradisional - http://rawatanbersalin.blogspot.sg/ (last update Monday, 30 July 2012)
1. http://penjagapantang.wordpress.com/ (last update May 6, 2012)
2. http://inaurut.blogspot.sg/ (last update Tuesday, 23 April 2013)
3. http://cintasari.com/services_post_natal.html
4. http://dnatasyaayu.blogspot.sg/2013/01/pakej-pantang-2013.html (last update Tuesday, May 7 2013)
5. http://sirehqaseh.blogspot.sg…

Dilemma: Taska / Nursery for The Girls

We're back to square one. Scratching our head, thinking hard and have to make an important decision. My sister can no longer take care of my girls, she has accepted a job offer in KLIA2.

Definitely not going to hire another helper. I do not want face another headache, frustration and have stranger into our house. It would also cost us thousands of Ringgit again which we don't have. Now we're considering sending the girls to a childcare centre. Choosing a childcare centre is NOT easy. Reliable and registered are normally full.

I had done my research on the Internet, browsing the JKM website looking for registered taska / nursery. I called few places and they are no longer accepting new entry.

I had called this centre named Taska Umi Setia Kasih in Danau Kota. I prefer this taska since it is close to kiddo's transit house and school. It is also close to my in law's house. And it is just opposite the police station. Aha. There is a place for Arissa, but I have to wait fo…