Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Simple Potato Gratin

Just before I deliver my baby girl last year, I had kept this recipe in my notes. I managed to make it on last weekend and it turned out well. Mr. Fruitheart said "Passed." Happy me.

He even told me I need to get a suitable tableware. I used what I had in the kitchen of course, the Ikea bowl. Because that is the only tableware that can be put in the microwave oven we have. I should asked Mr. Fruitheart for an oven as my birthday gift. What da ya think? Yay or nay?
 

I put a lot of cheese on top. The smell oh I tell you, delicious and the taste of course cheesy and creamy! Above is before it went to the microwave oven. At 150'C for 60 minutes. If it is in the oven the baking time is less than that, around 15-20 minutes.


After. Tadaaaaaaaaaaa!

Recipe is from Nigella Lawson.

Ingredients:
4 1/2 pounds all-purpose potatoes
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 onion, peeled
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon salt
Approximately 1/4 cup unsalted butter (I skipped because do not have butter)


Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

2. Peel the potatoes and cut them into slices, neither especially thin nor especially thick (approximately 1/2-inch) and put them into a large saucepan with the milk, cream, onion, minced garlic and salt.

3.Bring to the boil and cook at a robust simmer or gentle boil (however you like to think of it) until verging on tender, but not dissolving into mush.

4. Use some of the butter to grease a large roasting pan (15 by 12-inches) and then pour the almost sludgy milk and potato mixture into it. Dot with remaining butter and cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until the potato is bubbly and browned on top. Remove, let stand for 10 to 20 minutes and then serve.

I wanted to make my own meatballs, but I do not have the TIME to do it. You know how it is with 3 kids.. especially a 2 year old toddler and 2 months old baby. It feels like you have 10 person in the house. Phew! So I bought the meatballs which already packed from Giant. Mr. Fruitheart helped me to fry it and it's not a surprised when there's none left.

P/S: I should do this twice a week and asked my MIL to help bake it because she has the big oven. Hehe.
Post a Comment