Friday, 18 September 2015

The Stop Yelling Challenge - After A Week

I started this challenge on Monday last week and it has now been twelve days. So how is it going? Alhamdulillah, I DID NOT YELL or SCREAM at my children. Yay me!

I have to agree that, it is the most challenging task I've ever done in my life. (What have I gotten myself into? What was I thinking?) *Shut up you devil*
 
It challenges, the level of patience I had towards my children. You know how children say or do something that pushes your buttons and keep on testing their parents? They are very good at it. Next thing you know, you're yelling at the top of your lungs. And then, you regret.

I have been reading a lot about parenting, and one of the reason why parents yell is because they are FRUSTRATED. I don't feel like I have any other options at the moment in time when I lose it. I don't think about what I am doing, I just.. respond immediately. Yes, yell and scream. As much as we always tell and teach our children to behave, we must remind and teach our self the same too. After all, where did they learn it from right?

The three alternatives I have listed to do whenever I feel like shouting, well.. it worked. I drank lots of water, which is of course good. Few times I washed my face, makes me fresh. And the phrase that makes me realized “They are just kids and I love them.” worked wonders.
 
How do I feel right now? I feel great. I didn't have this guilty feeling anymore. Honestly, the first thing I realized was that I needed some space and relaxed a little bit after work. Why? It is the time where my emotions were triggered easily. Simple word - TIRED. 10 - 15 minutes of me-time would do.
 
P/S: Wait until pay day to get my Ferrero Rocher.
Post a Comment